Do you love sweet treats? How about trying something new and making candied grapes? Candied grapes are a delicious and fun snack that is easy to make. In this post, we will show you step-by-step how to make candied grapes that are perfect for any occasion!
What are Candied Grapes?
Candied grapes are grapes that have been coated with sugar and then dried until the sugar forms a crunchy shell around the grape. The result is a sweet and crunchy treat that is perfect for snacking or as a topping for desserts.
What do you need to make Candied Grapes?
Ingredients for Making Candied Grapes
To make candied grapes, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of grapes (any variety)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- Wooden skewers
Steps to Make Candied Grapes
Follow these easy steps to make candied grapes:
- Wash and dry the grapes. Remove them from the stems and set them aside.
- Thread the grapes onto the wooden skewers. You can use as many skewers as you need to accommodate all the grapes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue boiling the mixture without stirring until it reaches 240°F (115°C) on a candy thermometer. This should take around 5-7 minutes.
- Once the sugar mixture has reached the desired temperature, remove it from the heat.
- Dip each skewered grape into the sugar mixture, coating it thoroughly. You can use a spoon to help coat the grapes if needed.
- Place the coated grapes onto a sheet of parchment paper to cool and harden. Be sure to keep the grapes separated so they don’t stick together.
- Allow the grapes to cool completely. The sugar coating should harden and become crunchy.
- Once the grapes are cooled and hardened, remove them from the skewers and enjoy!
- Candied grapes are a healthier alternative to other sugary snacks.
- They are easy to make and require only a few ingredients.
- They can be customized by using different types of grapes or adding spices or flavorings to the sugar mixture.
Tips for Making Perfect Candied Grapes
- Use firm and fresh grapes for the best results
- Make sure the grapes are completely dry before coating them with sugar
- Use a thick sugar syrup for a thicker coating on the grapes
- Be patient and let the grapes dry completely before serving or storing them
Creative Ways to Use Candied Grapes
Candied grapes can be used in a variety of ways, such as:
- Topping for ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Garnish for cocktails or mocktails
- Snack for movie nights or parties
- Addition to fruit salads or charcuterie boards
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of grapes are best for candying?
The best grapes for candying are firm and fresh grapes with a thin skin. Some good options include green or red seedless grapes, but feel free to experiment with different varieties!
Can you use any other sweeteners besides sugar?
While sugar is the most common sweetener used for candied grapes, you can try using honey or maple syrup as a healthier alternative.
How long do candied grapes last?
Candied grapes can last for up to a week if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. However, they are best enjoyed within a day or two of making them.
Can you make candied grapes without an oven?
Yes, you can make candied grapes without an oven by using a food dehydrator or simply leaving them out to air dry.
Are candied grapes healthy?
While candied grapes are a sweet treat and should be enjoyed in moderation, they still contain some of the nutrients found in fresh grapes such as fiber, vitamin C, and antioxidants.